We're back for our 12th season. Keep up to date with all the discoveries, brought to you by our daily bloggers.

Day 14: Late update - Mud & Romans

Water levels rose throughout the day, but there was still work to be done. After all - there's only 1 week left!

Jon

Today was wet -  very wet. However, the day was a good one. For the first half of the day I was recording finds in Albion Street. The other groups came to join us in washing finds when it was too wet to do any substantial digging on site. After doing the long job of sorting and recording all of the unstratified finds, we did made it back on site.
I carried on excavating the same context I have been doing for the last few days, whilst trying not to be engulfed by the rising water later of the ditch to the left of me. Flooding seemed imminent since unfortunately I knew I had to get down to the same level of that ditch. In the last quarter of the day I managed to start unearthing some decent finds, which was a relief as I had been hearing Tom and Dave complain for the last few days that they had too  many! Some of the finds included the base of a Roman ceramic drinking vessel and the base of a Mortarium vessel.

Jon practices hand modelling with the help of a muddy vessel fragment.

Comments